08 9342 9587 [email protected]

Rockingham City lost their spot at the top of the All Flags Division Two table after they were beaten 3-2 by Balga at Lark Hill. The home side were ahead 2-0 just after the break with goals from Ryan Kennedy and Gershom Rowland. But Balga then hit back. They pulled one back on 70 minutes, Jimmy Taneski ran clear and finished low past Cyril Sharrock. Then with five minutes remaining Balga levelled. Dinko Ahmetanovic free kick crashed off the cross bar, and from the resulting goalmouth scramble, Lee James fired home. But in the final minute, Balga completed a stunning comeback with the winner.

Taneski’s free kick found Ahmetanovic in space, and his neat volley flew into the net to set off wild celebrations form players and supporters alike. “It was a unbelievable performance after a timid first half,” said Balga keeper Ollie Rigler. “The team spirit was something I haven’t been involved in since playing in England. On the pitch they are a brilliant team but we had too much fight and found their weakness and exploited them well.”

Forrestfield United moved into top spot on goal difference after thrashing Kelmscott Roos 10-0 at Hartfield Park. Ben Rogers scored four, Rhys Loxley a hat-trick with singles to Nathan Watkins, Scott Barker and Trent Wood. Melville City are back in the winner’s circle after a hard fought 2-1 win against Curtin University at Len Shearer Reserve. The visitors had the chance to take the lead on 11 minutes, but Jon Krawec’s penalty was well saved by Mirko Grgurinovic. But on the half hour Curtin opened the scoring, Robert Keegan getting on the end of Khaled Salhah’s cross. But before the break Melville levelled, Matt Donley was given far too much space and he fired home. The winner for the home side came 10 minutes from time, with Simon El Chami headed home from a corner. “Very pleased to get three points against a team that is better than their results suggest,” said Melville coach Gavin Brown. “After last week’s disappointment we needed a big performance and to come back from a goal down showed bottle and fighting spirit.”

In other games Kingsway Olympic beat Ellenbrook United 1-0 at Arbor Grove Reserve, with Nathan Thorpe scoring the winner, while Joondalup City thrashed Fremantle City 5-1 at Iluka Sport Complex. In the final game Wanneroo City won the local derby 3-1 against Quinns at Wanneroo Reserve. The home side were ahead when John Monterosso went through one-on-one with Quinns keeper Adam Bowers and scored. Connor Lynch added a second after a good work from Monterosso on the right, before Scott Campbell played in Lynch to add
his second. “We played exceptionally well today. We had a plan and the boys stuck to it for 90 minutes,” Wanneroo Coach Matt Debarro said. “Quinns are a tough team to play against credit to them and there coaching staff they will do well this season but I think today we were focused and to well organised.”